The 222-S Laboratory complex is the primary onsite lab for analysis of highly radioactive samples in support of Hanford projects. This facility includes the 70,000 square foot Laboratory, plus several administrative support buildings.
The 222-S Laboratory began operations in 1951 as the process control laboratory for the REDOX plutonium separations plant. The facility has undergone a series of upgrades and expansions. It is now the primary site lab for process control and regulatory analyses of intermediate to high-level radioactive samples.
Wastren Advantage, Inc. (WAI), under the direction of the Department of Energy Office of River Protection, operates the 222-S Laboratory. Washington River Protection Solutions provides laboratory support, maintenance, waste service, engineering, and process development technology. WAI performs the laboratory analytical services, and testing work scope. This includes the operation of the Standards Lab, 11A Hot Cells, as well as performing organic, inorganic, and radiochemical analyses.
The Many Roles
of the Laboratory
The 222-S Laboratory complex contains over 100 pieces of analytical equipment, 156 fume hoods, and 46 manipulators to perform work. The laboratory plays many roles, which include testing of waste compatibility and physical characteristics to support tank-to-tank waste transfers, performing corrosion rate studies and chemical testing to support tank corrosion inhibition, and providing input to the engineering specifications for each of the 242-A Evaporator waste volume reduction campaigns. The laboratory also studies the physical and chemical characteristics of waste necessary to enable waste retrievals and provides data to support tank closure requirements.